Sunday, September 13, 2009

Testing 45Deg PV Panel Concentrator

September 13, 2009







I tested the first version of a concentrator to increase the power output of the photovoltaic panels. The concentrator consisted of 4 white pieces of foam core board set at 45 degrees to the panel surface. I set the panel outside in my backyard facing due South and at 32 degrees with respect to the ground. Thirty two degrees is the optimal angle for my location in September. I took measurements of panel voltage and current throughout the day to calculate power (Power[watts]=Volts X Amps). Measurements were taken with and without the concentrator in place and I compared power levels to see the effectiveness of the concentrator. I found that the concentrator produced shading early in the day and late in the day. As a result of the shading, power output turned out to be lower with the concentrator in place even though it did help to increase power near noon. I confirmed the shading issue with a 3-D sketchup model and will use sketchup to help redesign the concentrator with a better angle to eliminate shading. The redesign of the concentrator will include:
  • Concentrator set at a lower angle based on Sketchup shading simulation (likely between 30 and 40 degs)
  • Surface of concentrator painted with high gloss white paint to increase reflectivity
  • Improve mounting system of foam core board to PV panel

No comments:

Post a Comment