Monday, September 7, 2009

Photovoltaic Panel Cardboard Mock-up

September 7, 2009

I made a cardboard mock-up to help me start to plan and visualize how I will mount the photovoltaic panels. There seems to be enough room and solid mounting points to attach the panels sturdily and reliably. I am not convinced that exisiting solar charge controllers will work well for my application which requires using a low voltage solar array to charge a high voltage battery pack. I also want the ability to use a battery pack that is not necessarily in increments of 12 volts as current charge controllers are designed for. Having to design and build a custom charge controller will take a bit of time and research on my part, which means the photovoltaic portion of the project will take a bit longer than I had hoped. Freeing myself from the constraints of charge controllers on the market allows me to start with a higher voltage battery pack, however, and I am now thinking of going ahead with a 66V or 72V pack. Friday will be a big day as the new front tire, photovoltaic panels, and factory service manual should come in. As soon as I get the new front tire installed I will start removing the internal combustion powertrain components.

No comments:

Post a Comment