Thursday, September 10, 2009

3-D Model of Battery Pack with Google Sketchup

September 10, 2009

Google Sketchup is a wonderful, easy to use, free tool for doing 3-D modeling of everything from small mechanical components to entire buildings. I used it to make a 3-D model of the battery space available and various sizes of battery packs. I took measurements on the stock bike with the engine in place so I will have to refine the model when I take the engine out and can get more accurate measurements with nothing in the way. It looks like I will have enough space to even mount the battery pack in a stylized V-shape in honor of the V-4 soon to be removed. Mounting the packs in straight flat rows would be quicker and easier but I'll study the feasibility of the V-shaped mounting once I have the batteries in hand and an empty chassis to work with. I compare various pack sizes in the following video and show how they would look mounted in the bike. You can download sketchup and tutorials on how to use it at: sketchup.google.com

No comments:

Post a Comment